Monday, June 14, 2010

faceplant

Ah, Monday. A fresh new week, piano lessons from my home, no driving all over Utah county to teach students. All in all, a good day.

This morning I woke up from a good night's sleep, got ready, had some breakfast and greeted my first three piano students at 10:00am.

With just about five minutes left of my first lesson, I started feeling a bit thirsty. And hot. My students didn't think it was too hot in our upstairs piano room, but I decided I should probably take a 30 second break and grab a drink between my first student and his sisters.

With only a couple minutes left, I just had to check his theory assignment and I'd be off to get a refreshing drink. Then I started feeling weirder. Heavy and hot and woozy.

"Whoa, guys. I'm feeling really lightheaded, just give me a second." I said as I closed my eyes. "Is my face white?" I asked, to which I received affirmative nods from the 16-year-old twins. Ugh. I put my head down between my knees to recover normal blood flow.

Then, BAM! The next thing I knew I was very confused, with a throbbing nose, and hearing strange voices . . . "Did she pass out?!" "Go get her husband!"

Moments after I had put my head down I blacked out and fell sideways off my chair, crashing into the little end table which proudly displays my diploma and a pencil cup. My head hit something on the way down and left a nice little goose egg on the back, my glasses got all screwed up and my nose got some serious road rash. I slowly sat up, dazed, my head collecting little beads of sweat. My concerned little students returned with a cup of ice water and McKay, looking up pregnancy stats on his iPhone - apparently your blood pressure is the lowest when you are halfway through your pregnancy (which would be right about now for me).

I apologetically canceled my remaining lessons and made my way to my bed. I realized that my neck got the brunt of the injury - it was stiff and sore. I spent the day sleeping, snacking, drinking, and playing scrabble with McKay via iPhone. Oh yes, and a bath while I watched The Office from my laptop on the counter.

It was a rough start to the day, but McKay just got groceries - and an iceberg milkshake for me - so things are looking up! By the way, have you seen the size of iceberg's small shakes?? They are HUGE! Way more than is healthy for one person. Maybe I'll just eat half . . .

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! That's scary. But I'm glad McKay was there to save the day and bring you an iceberg shake:) Hopefully you won't be passing out again soon, or ever actually. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how I know Im pregnant! I have almost passed out a million times in line at Walmart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm glad you're okay! Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa. Stay away from end tables, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you survived your nose dive. I am sure your other students were very understanding. It is never fun feeling light headed to begin with, but passing out is scary! So glad McKay was there to tend to your every need. Hope you continue to take it easy.

    OH and Ice Berg shakes are ginormous!!

    ReplyDelete