Monday, May 24, 2010

pending doom

What is the deal with everything being recalled/potentially hazardous to your newborn/off-limits for pregnant women, etc.??

It's just funny that after billions of successful pregnancies and births and infants growing into toddlers, everything is dangerous these days! Don't eat soft cheeses (actually, as long as its pasteurized it's okay), don't eat sushi (not medical advice actually. Just don't eat the few fish that are on the high-mercury list and don't eat more than 12 oz. per week), don't put your baby on its stomach, don't buy this kind of crib or that kind of car seat unless you want everyone to know you are a negligent parent. *sigh*

It's not that I don't want to make sure everything is safe and ready for our baby, I just feel like everyone is freaking out and everything is hazardous. Maybe if I never sleep and never let my child out of my sight everything will be okay.

Just a little rant.

4 comments:

  1. I have felt that way. But after all, we are all here! We all survived being babies and toddlers learning to walk, falls off the bed, etc. You and your baby will make it just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it either. don't let other people make you feel like a bad mom though. I'm pretty sure that being a crazy overly-protective mom or a sad & depressed mom are much worse than some of the other things you could do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle DinkelmanMay 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM

    Hey Steph! Congrats on the baby coming! I just have to put my 2 cents in here...We had a baby 11 months ago. He was born with a birth defect called gastroschisis. This is when the intestine is on the outside. He's a perfectly healthy, well-put together little guy now. What I wanted to say was that this defect and so many others have not been traced to anything. There are so many problems out there that we don't know what causes them. Coming from a mom who spent an agonizing 5 weeks in the NICU, I like to play it better safe than sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It never stops! I hear something new every day. I've just started doing my own research and homework on the rumors so I can make an educated decision. Using your best judgement can be difficult in some situations, but you can always pray about it!

    ReplyDelete