Thursday, May 27, 2010

tales

Here's my 17 week picture. So after we took the picture I noticed that the really dark couch was sticking out behind me a bit affecting the way the picture looked! I did my best to photoshop it out so it doesn't make my belly look all weird but I'm not sure how well I did. If I look lumpy, it's the couch!

Here's a question: where do old wive's tales come from and how do they perpetuate so fast and so far? I'm interested in hearing some of those outrageous pregnancy "facts" you've heard over the years. Here are the rules: 1) you have to actually have heard it from someone's lips
OR 2) you have to have read it from multiple sources.

Some of my favorite recent tall tales:

Eating peanut butter while pregnant will give your baby a lot of hair.

Heartburn while pregnant means your baby will have more hair.


Eating sweet potatoes will help you conceive twins.

What wive's tales have you heard? Pregnant or not, leave your comment!

5 comments:

  1. aaron just said, "i've heard that when you're pregnant, it means you'll have a baby". hmmm. he's funny. i have heard in biology classes, however, that if your father's mother had twins (or any of grandma's siblings for that matter),then perhaps you'll have twins! i don't exactly remember though. i'll do a google search and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um that if the heart beat is in the 160's or above, its a girl, and if its below the 160's its a boy! So far, this has held true for all three of my children.
    The heart burn and lots of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh...when you are walking, take small strides, otherwise that baby will fall right out! Courtesy my husband's grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If heartburn has any correlation with hair then all of my babies should have been nothing but hair from head to toe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you eat asparagus while you're pregnant you'll be sure to have a boy.

    ReplyDelete