Thursday, March 25, 2010

parental realization

As the early weeks of my pregnancy pass by I'm anxiously awaiting "the safety zone" of the second trimester. Although I try not to think or stress about it, the risks of miscarriage are much higher in the first trimester, which is why the decision to announce the good news post-12 week is often made. It will be nice when I don't have to worry about that.

The other day I was sitting in the waiting room for my doctor's appointment reading a baby magazine. An article talked about helping your baby sleep well - all the do's and don'ts and preparation for a good night's sleep, etc. The article mentioned things to do to help prevent SIDS . . . another scary thought for a parent-to-be.

"Wow." I thought, "I'll sure be glad when my baby is old enough to be out of that risk group. Then I won't have to worry so much . . ."

And then it hit me. Once they are sleeping safely then I'll have to worry about them toddling into the middle of the road . . . or being snatched on their way to school . . . or choosing cigarettes over FHE . . . and the list goes on. I guess I got a tiny taste of what parents feel. Here begins a never-ending journey of constantly being concerned for the welfare of my children.

It seems like a heavy job. But I'm excited for it.

2 comments:

  1. congrats, lady. hope all goes well. it will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY!!! I am so excited for you guys, congratulations. You will be great parents.

    ReplyDelete